Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Intravenous Drugs and the Battle for the Iron Throne

For the most part, I would have to say that I truly despise blogs that end up being used as a device for sharing feelings, or just ranting with no general focus what-so-ever. I have tried to keep this blog constrained to a few topics; however, I did include a “Personal” tab on this page in the small chance that if I ever wanted to share anything about myself, it would be there. As many of you have noticed, the only content on that particular tab is a thank-you to my close friends and family who are supporting me in this venture.

Wow, that sure was long winded.


I find myself in a vulnerable spot right now as I write this, reflecting on a great many things. One of those things is: What should I write about on my new blog? How ironic, I start to include content on my blog that I despise while deciding on content. Don’t be discouraged dear reader, I don’t plan on having too much of this drivel on a regular basis, but I find myself in a vulnerable spot…


At least I'm warning you.


Around the age of 30 or so, I got diagnosed with an autoimmune disease that manifests itself through arthritic symptoms and gastrointestinal bleeding. Google image search “Ulcerative Colitis,” it cannot be unseen.

It can be safe to say that I spend at least 1/3 of my life in chronic pain, coping with pain or just flat out medicating myself to a certain degree with NSAIDs or steroid therapy. There are many biopharmaceuticals prescribed to treat autoimmune diseases such as this by inhibiting what is called TNF or tumor necrosis factor.


By my best understanding, and without getting tooooooooooo boring, TNF is a group of proteins that cause cell death. In a normal conditions, these are the proteins that help knock out infected cells to allow healthy cells to replace them. Well, for a person who has a disease such as mine, those TNF are killing healthy cells, not infections; therefore, a TNF inhibitor or immune suppressant has to be introduced to stabilize the immune system.


That was a mouthful.


The one I take is called infliximab or commonly called Remicade. I have an IV infusion of Remicade every two months. A good description of it would be an artificial antibody recently reclassified as chemotherapy that effectively lowers the immune system to allow affected areas of inflammation a chance to heal.


I'm not an infusion patient, but I play one on TV.


Just in doing a bit of research on this as I write it, the side-effects include:

More common
Abdominal or stomach pain
chest pain
chills
cough
dizziness
fainting
fever
flushing of the face
headache
hives
itching
muscle pain
nasal congestion
nausea
runny nose
sneezing
sore throat
tightness in the chest
troubled breathing
unusual tiredness or weakness
vomiting
Less common
Back pain
bloody or cloudy urine
cracks in the skin at the corners of the mouth
diarrhea
difficult or painful urination
frequent urge to urinate
pain
pain or tenderness around the eyes and cheekbones
skin rash
soreness or irritation of the mouth or tongue
soreness or redness around the fingernails or toenails
vaginal burning or itching and discharge
white patches in the mouth or on the tongue
Rare
Abscess (swollen, red, tender area of infection containing pus)
back or side pain
black, tarry stools
blood in the urine or stools
bone or joint pain
constipation
falls
feeling of fullness
general feeling of illness
hernia (bulge of tissue through the wall of the abdomen)
irregular or pounding heartbeat
pain in the rectum
pain spreading from the abdomen or stomach to the left shoulder
pinpoint red spots on the skin
stomach pain (severe)
swollen or painful glands
tendon injury
unusual bleeding or bruising
weight loss (unusual)
yellow skin and eyes
Incidence not known
Area rash
bloody nose
burning, tingling, numbness or pain in the hands, arms, feet, or legs
change in mental status
clay-colored stools
continuing vomiting
convulsions
dark or bloody urine
difficulty with speaking
difficulty with swallowing
fast heartbeat
general feeling of tiredness or weakness
heavier menstrual periods
hoarseness
inability to move the arms and legs
itching, puffiness, or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
light-colored stools
loss of appetite
loss of bladder control
lower back or side pain
muscle spasm or jerking of all extremities
noisy breathing
painless swelling in the neck, armpits, or groin
pale skin
red, scaling, or crusted skin
redness, soreness, or itching skin
seizures
sensation of pins and needles
severe abdominal or stomach pain
severe muscle weakness, sudden and progressing
slow or irregular breathing
sores, welting, or blisters
stabbing pain
sudden loss of consciousness
sudden numbness and weakness in the arms and legs
unpleasant breath odor
upper right abdominal or stomach pain
vomiting of blood

Me after I read that list.

Mine are always, always, always soreness, aches, headache, sneezing, fever and sore throat.

O hey! Higher chance of tuberculosis and lymphoma with Remicade too! Awesome!                        

(I actually did know that.)

Not to mention, I have zero ability to fight off viruses or infections. It’s always a fun time, especially during cold and flu season. After my infusion this last Sunday, I had company over for my normal Game of Thrones get together, and I am certain that I picked something up from someone.


So, I’m sitting here thinking about my last infusion, and even though I am lucky and blessed in my life, I can’t help but sometimes feel sad. It was a lifestyle change that I was not necessarily ready to make 10 years ago. At the time, it was just misdiagnosis, one after another. Finally, a treatment plan was decided on, and here I am.


This last one was the worst. I had told the nurse that I preferred to not have my IV placed in my wrist, because my veins there tend to move. She, however, had different plans. She must have stuck me three times, and that vein rolled every time.


Insert.

Roll.
Retract.
Pinch.
Repeat.

The bruise on my wrist is a lovely shade, I must tell you. By the time it was placed in my forearm, I just wanted to go home, but all I had was that old familiar burn and waves of nausea. I just wanted to sleep once it finally ended.


I know that the grammar on this has been reprehensible, so I apologize.


In the Apostle Paul’s letters to the early church in Corinth, as well as Galatia, he speaks of a condition that he has to deal with. In 2 Corinthians, Chapter 12, he uses emotive words such as Thorn, Infirmities, Weakness.  In Galatians 4, he wrote (paraphrased) that he was sick with an ailment the first time he visited them. There are many theories out there concerning this. Some same it was a spiritual attack, others agree that it was truly a physical disease that he had to manage while traveling.


Inspiration.

I have always held true to the latter. It has always given me a sense of hope and peace knowing that the man who God called to reach “the ends of the Earth,” had to deal with a condition that may have been like mine. It gives me strength in knowing that God wants to use us all, regardless of our physical conditions or how we view ourselves.

It is those times that I recollect my head and keep moving forward.


Psalm 26:2 – “Examine me, O Lord, and try me; Test my mind and heart.”


There is no point to this, dear reader. I am normally not like this, but I am this time.


I promise that either later this week or next Monday, there will be something more entertaining to read.


5 comments:

  1. Hey,

    You gotta do what you gotta do. And honesty in emotion is always a good thing, even if it comes out as an expression of weakness or vulnerability.

    Love the way you tied in Paul into the article, goes to show that we all have our areas of weakness, mental or physical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback,

      Sometimes i think when we read the Bible, we think of these strong men and women of God, but in actuality - everyone of them was flawed, weak and vulnerable.

      I hope this post was helpful in some way.

      Delete
  2. Just wondering if you've tried any non-traditional medicine or treatments?
    I have an auto immune disease (psoriasis) and I think I'm going to try a homeopathic treatment.
    I had fibromyalgia type pain for a couple of years. My PCP wanted to put me on an antidepressant!! I went to my chiropractor and he is a whole health dr. He got my gut straightened out and the pain was gone in THREE days!!
    Auto immune diseases are often caused by bacterial overgrowth in the gut. There is a diet, but it's not for the faint of heart. I think I may try a liver, colon cleanse with high doses of probiotics, as well as any other supplements my chiro seems to think I need. I'll let you know!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Joanie,

      Thanks for your input. Yeah, I've tried a number of things, but nothing has given me the quality of life that I need as much as TNF inhibitors.

      I am glad that you found treatment that works for you.

      Glad you enjoy the blog.

      Delete
  3. With bistroMD you can trust that not only will you get gourmet entrees, but that every meal and every day in bistroMD's weight loss programs is balanced to bistroMD's specific nutritional platform that's promoting an healthy diet.

    STEP 1 - Select one of the diet plans for 5 or 7 days of meals.
    STEP 2 - Review your menu before ordering and select the meals you want for each day and week.
    STEP 3 - Order your weight loss plan online.
    STEP 4 - Your meals are sent to your door.

    ORDER NOW - delivered to your home.

    ReplyDelete